Members have recently queried the risks to Trustees from hiring out equipment (such as tables, chairs, marquees) to third parties for private functions. The concern is that if someone is injured through using the equipment the Hall Trustees might be liable for damages.
The following Guidance and Check List has therefore been compiled, with the help of Community Action Northumberland.
WEST NORTHUMBERLAND COMMUNITY BUILDINGS CONSORTIUM
HIRING OUT OF EQUIPMENT – CHECK LIST TO MINIMISE RISK
Members have recently queried the risks to Trustees from hiring out equipment (such as tables, chairs, marquees) to third parties for private functions. The concern is that if someone is injured through using the equipment are the Hall Trustees liable for damages.
The hiring out of equipment does have attendant risks for Hall Trustees and they should take the action set out below to ensure the hirers are aware of their responsibilities and that the risk to Trustees is minimised or eliminated.
This note has been compiled with the help of Community Action Northumberland.
- Insurance: Ask your insurer to cover the risks of hiring out equipment especially large items such as marquees. If they do not cover these risks (loss, damage and public liability) and are not prepared to do so, ask the other insurers on the Consortium’s Panel.
- Regular Checks on the Equipment: The Hall Trustees should do everything that is reasonably possible to make sure the equipment being loaned out is fit for purpose i.e. regular checks that are recorded with any actions needed. Keep a written log.
- Checking the Equipment Before and After Use: Equipment should be checked before issue to the hirer and on return.
- Clear Instructions: All hirers should be given clear instructions on the use of the equipment. Even the simplest things should be covered such as how to assemble tables and make sure catches are fastened etc.
- Hire Agreement: Have in place a hire agreement setting out the responsibilities of the Hall Trustees and the hirer with regard to the equipment.
- Risk Assessment by the Hirer: The hire agreement should place responsibility on the hirer to carry out a risk assessment for their event and the use of the equipment on hire.